Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Sort code update

Here is an update to the DATA/string/sort test code I've been using.  It fixes a bug in the comb sort, and slightly optimizes it. I wasn't worried about that when I was just comparing the speed of the same code head to head on different versions of the interpreter. Now I'm starting to compare vs other machines, and "let's compare the two using the same code" always turns into "let's optimize the code on my machine for better results", so this was inevitable.

I tried using a code formatter on this, but every language I chose mangled it, so raw text it is.



0 I=0:N=0:C=0:D=0:E=0:NW=0:H=0:T=0:GOTO20

'comb sort.
'p = what we divide the array size by to get the gap
'G = the gap
'using nested for loops avoids having to perform a line search that would
'happen using GOTO. The address is simply pulled off of the stack.
'using STEP 0 keeps FOR NEXT from changing the variable and the endless loop
'exits once the exit condition is achieved
'This revision prevents the 0 gap pass, and duplicate gaps if no swap took place the first time
'It checks the T temp variable used to swap indexes to see if a swap took place
'We start the array index at 1, so T should never = 0 if a swap takes place.
'Starting the array at 0 could break this code
1 Q=1:F=1.3:P=F:FORG=INT(N/P)TO0STEP0:PRINT"PASS =";Q;"GAP =";G:T=0
2 FORI=1TON-G:IFA$(B(I))>A$(B(I+G))THENT=B(I):B(I)=B(I+G):B(I+G)=T
3 NEXT:H=P:Q=Q+1
4 P=P*F:G=INT(N/P):IFNOT(T)ANDP=HTHEN4
5 NEXT:RETURN


'check to see if names are in order
6 R=0:FOR I=1 TO N-1:IFA$(B(I))>A$(B(I+1))THENPRINT"OUT OF ORDER "A$(B(I)):R-1
7 NEXT:RETURN

'print out the names based on the array index
8 FOR I=1 TO N:PRINT A$(B(I))" ";:NEXT:RETURN



'initialize the index array, and read in the names.  Skip the other data.
20 CLS:PRINT"READ, LIST, AND SORT MOST POPULAR SIR NAMES"
21 PRINT"SCANNING FOR END OF DATA"
22 READ K$,C,D,E:IF K$<>"" THEN N=N+1:GOTO22
23 RESTORE
24 PRINT N" NAMES IN DATA, INITIALIZING ARRAYS"
25 DIM A$(N),B(N)
26 FORI=1TON:READ A$(I),C,D,E:B(I)=I:NEXT
'27 PRINT"UNSORTED DATA":PRINT
'28 GOSUB 8
29 PRINT:PRINT "SORTING"N"NAMES ALPHABETICALLY"
30 GOSUB 1
31 PRINT:PRINT "VERIFYING THE ORDER IS SORTED"
32 GOSUB 6:IFR=1THENSTOP
33 GOSUB 8
34 PRINT:PRINT"DONE"
35 END



No comments:

Post a Comment