Saturday, September 9, 2017

IDE/ATA interface details

The IDE/ATA interface I posted is a simple 8 bit design that buffers the high byte of the 16 bit word the interface uses.  It's more what you'd use for a Z80 or 6502 machine than a an 8 bit chip with 16 bit support like the 6803, 68hc11, 6809, etc...  Many of the IDE/ATA interfaces I've looked at treat the high byte as a zero and only use half the storage capacity of a device.  It works but it won't be readable on a PC.

The control lines from the CPLD to the transceiver are not connected because I want to work out the logic require for a 16 bit interface first.  The two bi-directional transceivers required for a 16 bit interface each have 6 control lines, so the control logic will require 12 outputs, multiplexed outputs, or several signals being duplicated between both chips.  The CPLD I selected only has 8 configurable I/O lines.  I know a few signals are duplicates, but the device may be a bit too small.  It's cheap though, so if I can get it to work, someone should be able to built an interface for under $30 using perf board, and that's probably a high estimate.

No comments:

Post a Comment