Monday, August 14, 2017

A couple tweaks later...

After a couple small tweaks to normalization code and a one long test later... there is a much greater speed increase than with the previous test.  I'm not sure the small change that was made can account for this.  Maybe I had the wrong ROM loaded before.  Perhaps a bad build and I missed it?

The Life comparison shows the new version to be at least 3/4 of a generation ahead after 100 generations.  I'll take another 3/4 of 1% for a single change if this is consistent across the board.
However, tests with the circle drawing code indicate there are far too many instances where minimal normalization is required, and the code is obviously slower.  This leaves my previous version as the better choice overall.

The previous post reflects the changes I just tested.

No comments:

Post a Comment