Monday, August 7, 2017

VZ200 ROM Disassembly

Last time I worked on a commented disassembly of the VZ200 ROM, I used a disassembler called dZ80.  If it has a trace file output from an emulator, it can do a pretty good job of identifying blocks of code or data, but it doesn't really generate code that can be reassembled without considerable work.

After a quick search I ran across YAZD - Yet Another Z80 Disassembler 
It does an excellent job of turning a program back into source code with labels.
It can even do things like include where a label was accessed from in a comment in the disassembly.
Sadly, it detected ZERO data in the VZ ROM file, so that's a problem unless I can figure out how to resolve that in the settings.

By passing the disassembler output through sed (unix) with a list of substitutions for known commands or ROM routines, we get something that actually looks a little like real source code for the ROM.  And by using sed, I can try as many options with YAZD, or other disassemblers, as I like and still recreate a labeled ROM file in seconds.  SWEET!   Now I need to find the book on Level II BASIC I was using for some of the comments.  If I can create a sed file to append comments automatically, this won't be so bad.




No comments:

Post a Comment